This cover is recommended for businesses whose operations involve regular importation of raw materials, packaging materials, spares, etc. and/or exportation of finished products from one destination to another by sea or air. It is a mandatory cover for any item being imported into Kenya and can be offered in single voyage or annual policies. Get a free quote today.
- Institute Cargo Clause A (ICC A): This has the widest scope of insurance cover under a marine policy. It covers all risks of loss or damage except where specifically excluded..
- Institute Cargo Clause B (ICC B): This has the second widest scope of insurance under marine after ICC A. It covers specific risk outlined in the policy document
- Institute Cargo Clause C (ICC C): This offers the narrowest scope of coverage under marine insurance and is consequently the cheapest. It is similar to ICC B in that it covers specific risks but differs because it excludes some risks such aswashing overboard, entry of water into the vessel ,container or place of storage and loss of any package overboard or whilst loading or unloading from the vessel or craft.
Marine Insurance covers the risk of loss, destruction, or damage to goods in transit by sea or air. The insurance is activated at the time the goods leave the warehouse or place of storage named in the policy for the start of the transit, continues during the ordinary course of transit and terminates either: -
- On delivery to the consignees or other final warehouse or place of storage at the destination named in the policy or,
- On the expiry of sixty days after completion of discharge of the goods from the vessel at the final port of discharge.
The cover considerations are based on.
- Type of goods being carried
- Packaging of the goods
- Mode of transportation
- Origins and destination of goods.
Compensation for physical loss or damage suffered due to such risks / perils as:
- Shortage due to tearing and bursting of bags / cans, overturning, derailment.
- Short delivery / Non-delivery, Leakage/Breakage
- Theft/Pilferage, Contamination.
- Denting/Bending/Chipping, Rusting. This is a standard exclusion for machinery including cars
- Rain water damage / Fresh water damage.
- Damage by extraneous substances.
- Breakage of bridges/Culverts.
- Damage due to jerks and jolts during transit , collision with or by carrying vehicle.
- Damage while handling at Port of Entry or at Exit Port.
- Damage while handling during loading / unloading at warehouses / intermediate stores / trans-shipment and at site etc.
- Loss while unloading process at site due to failure of crane, slings or negligence of labour etc.
• Loss or damage due to fire risk.